Scranimals at the Library

Thanks to Samantha Carpenter for this super-fun guest post!
a copy of the book Scranimals, a tiny stuffed dog, a plastic carrot, a drawing of a Carrot + Dog= Carrog, a soup pot



Youth Services is preparing to host 1st grade field trips at LEPMPL, and I thought I’d pass along a fun activity that kids this age group invariably loves. It’s a great way to celebrate National Poetry Month and can be an active or passive program.

I read a couple of poems from Jack Prelutsky’s Scranimals (“The Detested Radishark” is deliciously scary!) and then let the kids combine a collection  of library toys to create their own silly creatures. I put some hard plastic food and  small, soft stuffed animals into a big soup pot. I hold the pot above kids’ heads and ask them to pick one hard toy and one soft toy from the pot. Then I write the names of the toys on a white board and ask them to help me combine the two words into a new word/creature. Sometimes I attempt to draw a picture of the new creature (usually the most hilarious part of a very funny activity overall). If the group isn’t too big and I am sure everyone will get a turn, I let the kids draw it. Or I ask the teachers! The kids love that, too.

There are several things I like about this activity:




Labels: , , , ,