Powerful Teens

a student's legs and feet with a backpack
Image from Pixabay
In the midst of feeling sad and worried and upset about all sorts of things going on in our world, the thing that is making me feel the best is seeing and hearing the teens in Parkland, Florida.  These teens are taking their grief and the trauma they experienced and turning to action, using the resources they have: organizing rallies, talking to legislators, writing articles for major publications, providing interviews.  They are compelling, heart-broken, fierce, and smart.  I am inspired by them, and I think that I would be even if I didn't agree with their agenda.  Teens are powerful.  Their brains are still developing, they have a lot going on, a lot to learn, and they are STILL powerful.  You know how Mr. Rogers suggested "looking to the helpers" when something terrible happens?  I really agree with that advice.  But I'm adding "look to the teens" to my list, as well. 

I wonder what we can do to support teens in our communities as they tackle challenging problems, or get ready to do so.  Most of the teens involved in Parkland have been involved in other groups where they had a chance to hone their skills.  Library Teen Advisory Boards are great for multiple reasons:  they give teens experience, allow them to practice using their voices, and a chance to work on an important community issue--library service to teens.  Being an adult who listens to them and respects them is critical, and providing them with lots of great resources and amazing books expands their worlds.  What are you doing in your community with teens that will help them become the leaders they'll need to be to move our world forward in positive ways?

Labels: , ,