Music Ideas for Storytime!

Many thanks to Jill Patchin of the L.E. Phillips Memorial Public Library in Eau Claire for this guest post:


I have XM radio in my car and a 2 year old, so we listen to Kids Place Live quite a bit (and I confess to listening to it even after I drop him off at day care!).  I have discovered lots of fun new songs that I may be able to use in storytime, or just songs that I love.  Here you go!

Moose on the Loose from the new album Ozokidz by the group  Ozomatli
No one in the consortium has this yet.  It is so much fun! You could maybe use it with shakers, or just listen to it incessantly at your desk and chair dance.

Everybody Eats When They Come to My House by Cab Calloway
I think this would be fun in a rhyming storytime or food storytime.  There is also a fun video for this song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvkCEEj4I2s

Chicken Monkey Duck by Mike Phirman. 
This would be a fun song to do popsicle puppets with.  Divide the group into thirds and each is a chicken, monkey or duck.  Raise your puppet when the song says your animal.  Or no puppets, just raise your arms.


Labels: ,